Toggle Contrast

I Need Help

young-girl-caring-for-motherYoung Carers

Sometimes when someone in our family becomes unwell, young people help to care for them, but it doesn’t mean that you’re on your own.

Surrey Young Carers offer a range of support and activities for carers under 18, which helps with getting time away from your responsibilities and talking through anything that’s bothering you. If you are over 18, there is also a group called Young Adult Carers who can help with everything from education and employment to general life as a Carer.

assorted-pillsAlcohol and Substance Abuse

There is a lot to know about drugs and alcohol, and sometimes people can make you feel as though you have to take them. All these substances can be very dangerous, including ‘legal-highs’ which may sound safe but can still cause serious health problems and in some cases death.

If you are worried about drugs and alcohol, or you just want to know more, we have some information below.

Catch22 is a substance misuse service specialising in treating those under 25, and all advice and support is confidential.

Talk to Frank offers information on all types of drugs, and also contains advice on how you can get help for yourself or friends and what to do in an emergency.

If you are affected by members of your family who are addicted to drugs or alcohol there is also help for you.

Adfam is an organisation in place to support the friends and families of those effected by substance addiction and offer lots of information and advice on how to handle the situation.


Crime effects everyone, whether it’s in your local area or if you have been involved in committing a crime yourself. However you are affected it’s never too late to get help.

If you have been the victim of a crime:

The Ministry of Justice have set out some information around how you can get support and what can happen throughout the case once it is reported to the police.

Embrace is an organisation focused on helping to support young people and families who have been victims of crime.

If you have committed, or are thinking about committing a crime:

It is likely that if you have already committed a crime the Police will already have been in contact. However, there are other ways in which you may be offered help. Surrey Youth Offending Service works with children and young people who have been involved in crime to look at righting the wrongs.

You can also speak to anonymous advisers at Fearless who are there to give you information and advice about crime, and where you can also report a crime anonymously.

If you feel you are being pressured into committing a crime, or feel like there is no other way, there are people who can help.

Music to My Ears is a Catch22 Service offering music and creative arts courses mixed in with 1-2-1 support to help deal with the issues which may make you feel like crime is your only option.

If you are interested in more ways to keep yourself safe, Surrey Police have put together some advice on Protecting Yourself from Crime.

girl-crying-curled-upSexual Abuse

If you have experienced sexual abuse, it can be hard to know what to do and who you can turn to. It’s important to remember that it isn’t your fault, and you shouldn’t be afraid to get help.

The Solace Centre in Surrey offers free support and practical help to anyone in Surrey who has experienced sexual violence or abuse. This leaflet provides contact details and more information on what they can do to help.

The NHS have also put together some information about what help you can receive after the incident, including your sexual health, and what may happen if you choose to report the issue.

CEOP helps any child or young person under the age of 18 who is being pressured, forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity of any kind. This can be something that has taken place either online or in ‘the real world’, or both. The CEOP Safety Centre has clear information and advice on what can be reported to CEOP, the reporting process and what will happen if you do decide to make a report. You can visit the CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the Click CEOP button.     CLICK CEOP Logo

fading-hands-bereavementBereavement Support

Losing someone close to you is very upsetting, and it is natural to have a lot of confusing feelings and you may feel like it’s hard to cope with everything. Everyone reacts differently, but there are people you can talk to.

Young Minds have put together some helpful information about grief and loss which may help you handle all the things that you may be feeling.

Winston’s Wish provide bereavement support for children and young people over the phone, through email or in their online chat where you can ask a one-off question or request more in-depth support.

Hope Again has a youth website where you can request support. They also have some personal stories and advice for difficult situations.


Having a mental or physical disability affects us all in different ways, and it is OK to ask for help or support if there is something you are finding difficult.

Surrey Local Offer is an online hub for 0-25 years where you can find support if you have educational needs or a disability. Advice, events and information on any topics related to children and young people around Surrey can also be found on this page.

Surrey Choices provide a range of support services to improve independence, confidence, and life skills of young people with a range of disabilities and support needs.

parent-and-child-in-meetingChild Protection Conferences

Surrey has processes in place to make sure that all children and young people across Surrey are safe from harm. If you are involved in these processes it can be confusing, but the professionals you may be meeting are always there to help.

If there is something happening in your case that you don’t understand, you can always ask the people involved to explain. You can find one-minute guides below which have been created to help your understanding of some of the support, services, and processes in Surrey.

One minute guides to Early Help and Children’s Services

Voice of The Child Interviews – Child Protection Independent Chair (long) – YouTube



Running away from home can feel like your only choice when things in your life go wrong. However, it is important to remember there are people you can talk to, ideally someone that you can trust, or even your school nurse or parents of your friends.

If you run away, it is possible that you may be hurt, harmed, or find yourself in a place that is not safe.

For more information, The Children’s Society have put together some information and advice if your thinking of running away from home. For support from thinking of running away right through to being away or thinking of returning, Missing People offer a range of services to support you. Missing People also have a helpline you can contact 9am-11pm, 7 days a week.

If you have already run away and find yourself homeless, help is available from the following places:

Centre Point– giving homeless young people a future.

Step by Step– Young People. Hard Times. Bright Futures.

Shelter- Emergency options for homelessness 16-25

group-of-teenagers-concernedCare Leavers

Leaving care can be a difficult time, with lots of decisions to make and many changes happening at once. Surrey’s User Voice and Participation Team have put together some useful contacts and advice for anyone leaving the care system in Surrey